Tasso is a New Orleans flavoring secret. You will find it in quite a few dishes here in the Crescent City. It can be hard to find outside of Louisiana so here is the recipe to make it yourself.
Tasso is highly seasoned and strong flavored smoked pork. It adds a great flavor to a variety of dishes. Give it a try the next time you need a Smokey flavor added to one of your dishes.
- 8-10 pounds boneless pork butt
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
Trim the pork butt of all excess fat. Cut it into strips about 1 1/2 inch thick and at least 6 inches long. Mix the seasonings together and place in a shallow baking pan. Roll each of the strips of pork butt in the seasoning mixture and place on a large tray. Cover the tray with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of days.